Prayer zone for a better, empowering, inspiring, promoting, prospering, progressing and more successful life through Christ Jesus

Posts tagged ‘Lagos State House of Assembly’

Ejigbo Pepper Sodomy And Murder Case : Lagos Gov’t Moves Rest Of Victims And Family Into “Witness Protection”, Rewards Whistleblowers.


 

By SaharaReporters, New York

The Lagos State Assembly handed over the family of Mr. Freeman Agomah to the Office of the Public Defender today in the latest development in the Ejigbo pepper sodomy, torture and murder case.

The Lagos State Assembly told the family they would no longer live at their residence but live far away from the area to help them overcome the trauma. Mr. Agomah and his wife were given N500,000.

Mr. Agomah’s wife and two daughters were tortured and sodomized by a gang of men in Ejigbo, allegedly last February.  One of the daughter’s Juliana died as a result of her injuries two months later.

A video of the horrific incident went viral on the internet leading to public outrage and a demand for a full investigation.  The Lagos State Assembly held a public hearing this month.  A criminal gang has since been arrested accused of the torture, extorting money from Mr. Agomah, and banishing the family from their residence in Ejigbo. The Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar had earlier directed federal detectives in Lagos to take over the case from the Lagos command.

At the Assembly public hearing a reward of N1.25million  was offered for any information leading to an arrest of the perpetrators, and information about the family.  A woman who contacted Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, President of Women Arise through her Facebook page told her of the whereabouts of the family, was rewarded N500, 000. An elderly Ejigbo man whom gave information that led to the arrest of the gang was rewarded with N250,000.

Mr. Agomah’s daughter, a teenager also sodomized by the vigilante gang gave testimony today.   She was 12 years old when the incident happened.   The family had moved her to Ilorin, Kwara State to help her forget the incident, and continue her schooling.

During her testimony, she said she was sodomized with pepper after the gang had finished with her stepsister, Juliana.  She gave names of the gang members saying she knew them all, and that one of them had asked her out before but she had turned him down.

She said he made mockery and fun of her exposed parts during the torture, quoting him saying, “You rejected my love advances and now I hope you can see that I have it by other chance.”

Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, President of Women Arise told Saharareproters, only now could she relax since seeing the horrible video, “I could not sleep, I could not feed well and I did not actually feel we were in a festive period because I was totally devastated looking at how a fellow woman was being dehumanized.”

“But now that the perpetrators have been apprehended and the family rehabilitated, although it’s sad that one of them is dead, if someone greets me my own Christmas and New Year greeting, I will answer. I could not answer it at the time when I saw the clip,” she said.

She called on the government to enact a law that criminalizes jungle justice. She added that fellow citizens could relate similar injustices to her through her Facebook page, facebook.com/jokeiodumakin so that collective actions could be taken on issues of human dignity and violation of rights.

#Ejigbo2 Sodomy Update: Lagos Assembly Sets up Ad Hoc Panel.


By SaharaReporters, New York

The Lagos State House of Assembly on Monday set up a panel to investigate the sodomization of two women, a tortuous video of which spread on the Internet recently.

A source with knowledge of the House yesterday said that the Speaker of the Assembly, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, commissioned an ad hoc committee to commence immediate investigations into the situation.

Confirming the development, the leader of the Women Arise for Change Initiative, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, who led a protest to the House on Monday, told SaharaReporters she has been alerted about the establishment of the committee.

Heading the committee is Mr. Ajibayo Adeyeye, the Majority Leader.  Other members are Mrs. Adefunmilayo Tejuosho, who represents Mushin I Constituency, and Mrs. Omowunmi Olatunji-Edet of the Oshodi-Isolo II Constituency.

Among those to be invited by the committee in its fact-finding exercise include Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan, who is the chairman of Ejigbo Local Council area; market leaders at the Ejigbo central market, where the incident is reported to have taken place; head of police division in charge of the zone of the incident, as well as civil society representatives.  The committee is expected to report its findings soon.

Yesterday, after showing the tape depicting the horror to a group of people to raise more awareness and concern yesterday, protest groups trouped to the Assembly to demand a thorough investigation, and justice.

In a statement recently, the Chairman of the Ejigbo local government, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan, admitted that the incident took place in his area last February.  He said that the sodomized woman is the wife of a palm wine tapper and the other lady in the torture, her stepdaughter. He said he had handed over to police for proper and thorough investigation.

However, police investigation has not progressed much.

“With this State House panel, we hope that the perpetrators are found and brought to justice,” said one of the protest leaders this morning.

PHOTONEWS: Women Groups Protest Against Sodomy Of Two Women, Petitions Lagos House Of Assembly.


Women advocacy groups today marched in protest against the violent torture and sodomization of two poor women at Ejigbo over alleged stealing of pepper.

The Women Arise group presented horrible clip of the sodomy to participants during the protest and also presented copies of the video in Compact Disk to members of the Lagos State House of Assembly, who were also handed a petition demanding investigation and justice for the affected women.

The protesters created a catchphrase/hashtag “#Ejigbo2″ to popularize the incidence and specifically to constant follow-up to just end.

Receiving the protesters, the Lagos House reps promised to move a motion today and set up a committee to immediately commence investigation into the incidence. The reps said chairman of the Ejigbo local government, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan; all the market women in Ejigbo central market as well as all concerned in the incidence will be called to the panel.

Women Arise and other leaders of the protest will also be invited to the panel.

The petition by Women Arise group to the Lagos House of reps is reproduced below:

Attention:  Mr. Ikuforiji Adeyemi,

Speaker,

Lagos State House of Assembly,

Alausa, Ikeja,

Lagos.

Mr Speaker Sir,

PETITION ON THE DEHUMANIZATION OF TWO WOMEN IN EJIGBO, LAGOS STATE

The above Subject refers:

We are Women Arise for Change Initiative and we herein petition your good offices on behalf of two Nigerian women and Lagos State Residents in Ejigbo, hereafter referred to as “The Victims,” who sometimes this year were subjected to one of the most vicious forms of human rights abuses and the unspeakable horrors of brutality by certain depraved and savage men.

Indeed, there was outrage across the nation and around the world when video shots of the victims stripped naked, and being mercilessly beaten with pepper and sodomised with strange objects went viral (Attached is a Video CD of the sordid scenes).

As Nigerians and fellow citizens of the world watched the horrific scenes, they wondered if these were shots taken in the dark ages of savagery and primitivism.

Strangely enough, a Statement this month by the Chairman of Ejigbo LCDA, Kehinde Bamigbetan at the height of the furore, acknowledged that this unimaginable horror took place in his domain in February this year, and that the victims were a mother and step daughter accused of stealing pepper, and that the husband and father was a palm-wine tapper; but Bamigbetan’s Statement sadly to say, failed to outline the measures his office had taken since then to assure justice for the victims and ensure that the perpetrators are punished. Ironically, it is the same Bamigbetan whose gruesome kidnap few months back elicited genuine emotions and public goodwill, and the Lagos State Government and concerned Nigerians spared nothing to guarantee his release, and bring the kidnappers to book. Why did he appear to have turned a blind eye over the ordeal of the victims, and why is he just acknowledging to the public these atrocities after ten good months? Or is that the victims lives are of no value to him because they are pepper sellers from the household of Mr. Palm-wine tapper?

Women Arise for Change Initiative hold the belief that all peoples, including women are created equal by the Almighty, and they are therefore equal before the law; women’s rights are human rights.

To this end, we request and urge you to kindly use your good offices to set up an inquiry into this shameful incident and compel the Ejigbo LCDA Chairman, Kehinde Bamigbetan to share his knowledge of the crime and what he has done in tracking down the purveyors of these bestialities so that they can be brought to justice; adequate provisions must also be made to rehabilitate the victims, peradventure they survived these cruelties.

We strongly believe that there is a redemptive value for Lagos State in fishing out these criminals for punishment so that the State is not seen as a haven for atrocious human rights abuses, where barbaric and savage acts are tolerated by government officials; that is surely not a good face to present to potential investors and tourists to the commercial hub of the nation.

This is certainly one issue that will not die until justice is done, and we trust that you will act quickly and ably, and use your good offices to ensure that justice is done, for justice too long delayed is justice denied.

Thank you in anticipation of your prompt action.

Yours Faithfully,

Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin

President 

Women Arise for Change Initiative 

26, Adebowale Street, 

Ojodu-Berger,

Lagos.

Websitewww.womenarise.org

www.campaign4democracy.org.

Source: SAHARA REPORTERS.

Prominent Nigerian Activist To Lead March To Lagos House Assembly Over Case Of Alleged Sodomy Of Two Women.


Prominent Nigerian activist, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin of Women Arise, will lead a march and rally on Monday to protest the lack of proper investigation into a case of alleged sodomy of two women.  The march will begin outside Lagos TV, then on to the House Assembly.

The incident first surfaced in a video on Nigerian cyberspace showing a gang sodomizing two women with sticks and peppers.

Okei-Odumakin, President of Women Arise for Change Initiative, said in a statement the march was a protest against the treatment of two women who should have been handed to police for legal action rather than resort to jungle justice.

“What we don’t even know now is whether the victims survived the torture or not,” Okei-Odumakin told a gathering at a public forum where the video was shown.

Nigerian women activists are outraged at the crime, and will use the march to draw attention to this latest violent act and others against women.

The incident is said to have happened in February 2013, and reported by Sahara Reporters, has conflicting accounts about what happened and where from a government official and police.

The Council Chairman of Ejigbo local government, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan admitted the incident happened in his council area. He said he gave all the information to police for further investigation in 24 hours after the incident.  Mr. Bamigbetan’s findings said where it happened, and clues to the victims’ identities.

The Lagos Police Force’s public relations officer, Mrs. Ngozi Braide, said the police have no clue as to where the alleged crime happened or the identity of the victims.

The march and rally will be on Monday, December 23, at 10 am in front of Femine Cafe, Lagos Television and then onto Lagos State House of Assembly, Alausa, Ikeja.

For information about the march call: 080340902205 or 08138951784  Link to the footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7runWF3RPxk

Source: SAHARA REPORTERS.

Governor Amaechi on Police Blockade of Rivers Govt. House Entrance.


 

Police-stop-Amaechi

Rivers State governor and chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi has condemned Thursday night’s police blockade of the access road to the Government House, saying that it was the height of lawlessness and impunity. Amaechi stated this on Thursday night when he received members of the Forum of Former Speakers of State Houses of Assembly in Nigeria at the Government House, Port Harcourt, the state capital. He said: “All of you saw how the former speakers came down from the vehicle to tell them (police) where we were coming from, but the police resisted them. It is for Nigerians to see that we no longer have democracy in this country. We are now in a regime where the law is no longer supreme. We must rise up against this impunity against our democracy.”

The governor also apologised to the former speakers for the embarrassment the police caused them. Former speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly Senator Olorunimbe Mamora expressed sadness at the police’s action. He recalled that Amaechi made the detour to get to the Government House with his guests because “he is a responsible citizen”. Mamora said, “I think that (roadblock), to say the least, was quite unfortunate because we were coming from inspection of projects; more than 70 former speakers were in the governor’s (Amaechi) entourage to inspect projects and, on our way back to the Government House, we discovered that we just couldn’t pass because the road had been blocked.”

The Forum called on the inspector-general of police, Mr Mohammed Abubakar, to resign from office over the police action. The call came as the Felix Obuah-led PDP in the state insisted that Governor Amaechi was not barred from entering Government House. Chairman of the FFSN and former speaker of the Plateau State House of Assembly Hon. Simon Lalong said the police might have acted on a directive from the state police commissioner, Joseph Mbu, who takes his instructions from the IGP. He urged the National Assembly to call for the resignation of Abubakar. The director-general (operations) of the PDP in the state, Hon. Emeka Woke, said: “Governor Amaechi was not prevented from entering the Government House, Port Harcourt.

You know where Government House is and you also know where 38 Forces Avenue (new PDP’s secretariat) is. The governor wanted to forcefully re-open the sealed secretariat and the police prevented him. He is accusing President Jonathan of preventing him from using the road. He is playing the drama to malign Mr President.”

From: Leadershipng

Source: Radio Biafra.

Tragic Lagos rain kills three, destroys building, vehicles.


Early morning rain laced with severe windstorm on Monday left several led
to the death of atleast three people and destruction of several properties
including houses and vehicles in Lagos.

The rain which started in the wee hours spanned through the morning
leaving a tale of tragedy on the megacity. Several trees were uprooted
especially in Ikoyi near the Federal Secretariat complex.

Areas mostly affected by the destruction are Okota, Jakande and Bucknor
estates, Ejigbo, Yaba, Obalende, Ikoyi, Sanya and Ijeshatedo. The popular
Oshodi- Mile 2 Expressway was completely submerged in the flood.

Several telecommunications mast collapsed under the pressure of the storm
with one killing a man upon whom it fell Cars Vehicles were not spared as
several were hit by collapsed structures also.

One of the dead victims, whose identity could not be immediately
ascertained, was said to have been hit in the head by falling
telecommunications mast around Dodan Barracks in Ikoyi.

According to sources the deceased had alighted from a commercial
motorbike when suddenly the telecommunications mast fell on him. His
remains were said to have deposited at the Lagos State General Hospital
morgue for identification and collection by his relations.

It was a similar tale at the Jakande Low Cost Housing Estate, Ejigbo. About
70 houses had their rooftop completely torn while two persons were
reportedly killed in the encounter. The was said to have left about five
hundred people homeless in the neighbourhood.

At the Caroline Atuona  and Bisola Durosimi, Etti streets in Lekki Phase 1,
two persons were also killed by a collapsed telecommunications mast.

It was also gathered that one of the masts belonging to a television outfit
killed the security guard on duty in the company when it fell.

Reacting to the incident Lagos State House of Assembly, immediately
summoned the Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, for
briefing on his ministry’s plans ahead of the rainy season.

The legislators also enjoined local government chairmen to partner with the
state and educate residents in their area on the hazards of blocking the
drainage system.

By African Examiner.

Tag Cloud

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,683 other followers