Prayer zone for a better, empowering, inspiring, promoting, prospering, progressing and more successful life through Christ Jesus

Posts tagged ‘Bama’

Few Hours After Nigerian Government Claims It Was Winning The War Against Terrorism, Islamist Militants Boko Haram Attack Bama Again.


 

By SaharaReporters, New York

Few hours after an aide to President Goodluck Jonathan’s aide boasted that Nigerian military is better equipped and motivated to fight Boko Haram militants, the sect has launched another brazen attack on Bama township killing several people.

Dr. Doyin  Okupe was countering the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, that the militant were having the upper hand in decimating towns and villages in the northeast region.

Although details are still sketchy credible military sources confirmed the attacks and that hundreds of residents are presently fleeing the town after the sect launched an attack around 3 AM. The sect had been attacking villages and towns in Borno and Adamawa states despite the state of emergency declared by President Jonathan.

Okupe had on Tuesday while disagreeing with Gov. Shettima’s outcry that Boko Haram were better armed and motivated than the Nigerian military.

After leaving a meeting with President Jonathan in Abuja yesterday, Governor Shettima spoke frankly to state house reporters dismissing the fact that the military was winning the war against Boko Haram.

Advertisements

Ohanaeze warns North’s elders over Ihejirika.


 

Ihejirika Army Chief

The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has warned the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) to stop threatening former Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen- Azubuike Ihejirika.

NEF threatened to sue Ihejirika at the International Criminal Court (ICC), The Hague, for alleged extra-judicial killings.

The forum’s spokesman, Prof. Ango Abudullahi, issued a communiqué, accusing Ihejirika and six others of alleged extra-judicial killings in Bama and Giwa Barracks in Borno State.

Reacting yesterday in Awka, Anambra State Chairman of Ohanaeze, Chief Chris Eluemunoh, described the threat as “an empty one, adding that attempt by anybody to embarrass Ihejirika would be resisted.

 

He said: “If they try it, they will meet fire. We have records of the atrocities committed against Ndigbo, but we keep quiet in the interest of our country.

“Let them try anything funny, they will see Ndigbo in their true colourS.”

Eluemunoh said the support of Ndigbo for President Goodluck Jonathan for a second term was not an open cheque.

Said he: “We are not thinking of an Igbo president next year. Our stand is that Ndigbo will support Jonathan for a second term.

“But he needs to talk with us and assure us of certain things, such as a second Niger Bridge, railway across the Southeast, especially in Onitsha, among others.”

Ihejirika: Igbo youths, others warn northern elders.


 

Lt-General-Azubuike-Ihejirika-002

A coalition of Northern and Igbo youths has cautioned the Northern Elders Forum on its call for Lt.-Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika’s trial at the International Crime Court (ICC).

It said the elders should not destroy the young generation with hatred, division and mistrust.

Addressing a joint news briefing in Abuja, the presidents of the Ohanaeze Ndi-Igbo Youth Organisation, Comrade Uzoh Ifeanyi and Northern Youth Leaders Assembly, Comrade Tijani Kabiru Mohammed, said the elders were seeking media attention and looking for the spoils of the political economy of their self-made crisis.

They said the feeling among Igbo youths was that the North could still not imagine that an Igbo man could head the Army, while northern youths were given the impression that an Igbo man commanded a troop to kill northerners.

 

“We the northern and Igbo youths have built bridges of fraternity and friendship and do not want anybody to lead us back to the hatred and bitterness of the civil war era.

“As Nigerians, we are united in search of a solution to our national challenges. It could be suffocating when wisdom vanishes from the heads of elders.

“We, the youth, have a duty to tell them that they are wrong and should stop. The country is yet to recover from the threats issued by some of them in 2011. We can hardly afford another crisis,” the youths said.

They condemned attempt by the elders forum to create tension, disunity, instability and hatred, urging them to stop inciting Nigerians against one another.

Source: Radio Biafra.

High expectations, not reasons made Jonathan opted Minimah as army chief.


coas new

Indications  emerged on Friday that President’s choice of General Kenneth Minimah,  as the new Chief of Army Staff may have been informed by the need to  intensify the campaign against the insurgency in the north-eastern part  of the country.Investigations by SUNDAY PUNCH showed that Minimah belonged to fighting corp of the army as an infantry general.His predecessor, Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika, belonged to the engineering corp.Those close to the new army chief,  billed to take over the leadership of the army on Monday, said he was an  effective general reputed to be a paratrooper even as a  brigadier-general in the army.A military source, who spoke to our  correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said the appointment  ignited high expectations and anxiety among soldiers who had been  worried by Boko Haram attacks on soldiers in Bama and Maiduguri.The source added that before the  emergence of Minimah, the army was bitter as the service felt  discouraged by the destruction of military formation and some barracks  by the insurgents.The source stated further that the new  army chief was expected to address the issue of the delay in the payment  of operational funds to soldiers in the frontline.It was reported that the delay in the payment of such funds to soldiers was a major source of dampened morale in the army.The source argued that soldiers and  other security operatives were unhappy with the delayed payment of the  operational allowances for December.“I think Boko Haram is one of the major reasons; of course, there is need to address the problem of insecurity in the country.“There is the belief that with the  establishment of the 7th Infantry Division of the Nigerian Army in  Maiduguri, the operational funds, which were paid early in the month  under the Joint Task Force, were delayed until the appointment of the  present GOC.

Northern Elders drag Ihejirika, 6 others to ICC over Bama deaths.


 

ihejirika

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) yesterday vowed to sue the immediate past Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika and six others to the International Criminal Court of Justice (ICC) in the Hague over their alleged role in last year’s violence in Bama, and Giwa Barracks all in Borno State while battling members of the Islamic Terrorists sect, Boko Haram.

The NEF however, did not name the other six persons.

Meanwhile, a one day meeting of Northern Emirs ended in Kaduna last Thursday with the Emirs saying that there was a plot to further divide the north on religious and ethnic basis for the selfish end of some interest groups.
A statement signed by the Chairman of the NEF, Professor Ango Abdullahi made available to Saturday Vanguard in Kaduna

yesterday said that the former Army Chief and six others were to be charged for extra-judicial killings by soldiers in Bama.

According to NEF, the former Army Chief will also be charged with the other six for strangulation of civilians in Giwa Barrack, in underground detention centre.

Read part of the Communiqué: “It would be recalled that, the Northern Elders Forum had set up two committees of legal and security experts to investigate the details of the gruesome use of force against unarmed civilians in Bama and other parts of Borno State and forward appropriate recommendations.

“At our meeting in Kaduna on the 15th January, 2014, we received the reports of the two committees on Security and Legal Matters, regarding extra-judicial killings by soldiers in Bama and the act of strangulating civilians in Giwa Barracks using an underground detention centre, while depositing the corpses in hospital.

“The Forum has therefore resolved to harmonise the reports of the two committees, preparatory to filing a case of extra-judicial killings by the Nigerian Army under the then Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Azubuike Ihejirika and six others.

“The reports will be harmonised at our emergency meeting in Abuja on Wednesday, January 22nd ,2014 for further action”, the statement read.

Meanwhile, part of the comminque of the Northern Emirs observed:”That some interest groups are using religion and ethnicity to bring about divisions within the society to the detriment of the development of the nation.

“That some interest groups are putting undue pressure on traditional rulers to be partisan to the detriment of their position as fathers to all.

“That some divisive elements from within and outside the North are causing animosity and distrust amongst the different communities in the North thereby weakening the hitherto strong bond of unity that existed in the region before and during the first republic”.

By Luka Binniyat

Source: Radio Biafra.

Military said 63 Boko Haram terrorists men killed in raid.


Boko-Haram-002

The Defence Headquarters said yesterday that 63 Boko Haram members were killed last weekend during ground and air operations on their bases in Bama, Borno State and Lake Chad.

Two soldiers were wounded in encounters with the insurgents.

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau boasted in a new video that the sect will wreak more havoc on Nigerians.

He also derided the $7million bounty on his head by the United States.

The military claimed that the first clash occurred at Alafa Forest, where 56 insurgents were killed. The Nation could not verify the facts independently.

 

The remaining seven fell to the repelling attacks of the Multi-National Joint Task Force on an island in Lake Chad

There was no reaction yet as at last night by the leadership of Boko Haram on the crossfire with government troops.

The latest Defence Headquarters figures brought the casualty figures on the side of the sect to about 113 within two weeks.

The DHQ had last week said 50 Boko Haram insurgents and 15 soldiers were killed in a pre-dawn attack on Mohammed Kuru Barracks in Bama last Friday.

It also said five civilians died during the attack on the barracks by the insurgents.

A statement in Abuja by the Director of Defence Information, Maj-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said the operations were part of steps at tracking fleeing insurgents who attacked Mohammed Kuru Barracks in Bama about two weeks ago.

The statement said: “Nigerian security forces have launched ground and air operations on terrorists locations in the Forest at Alafa, about 21km from Bama, Borno State. Over 56 terrorists died in the ensuing intensive fight over the weekend.

“Two soldiers were wounded in the operation which is meant to track fleeing terrorists.

“Acting on intelligence reports which indicated renewed efforts by the terrorists to establish a new camp in the forests locations, the land and air operations have inflicted heavy casualty on the insurgents as indicated by the high level of their loss of men and materials.

“Air and land bombardments are continuing in different locations where terrorists have been reportedly sighted.

“In another development, troops of the Multi-National Joint Task Force have foiled an attempt by terrorists who were massing up on an island on Lake Chad with a view to carrying out an attack on some Nigerian communities.

“Seven of the terrorists died while others fleeing in different direction towards Niger and Chad Republic are being trailed by troops.

“Intelligence reports have confirmed that some of the wounded terrorists were seen in a canoe paddling towards Tumbun Telkandam in Chad Republic.”

Shekau, in a new video, promised to “decapitate and mutilate” more people in the name of Allah. Ridiculing the United States for putting a bounty on his head, he said: “You can’t in any way harm me.”

Shekau, who has been dubbed a “global terrorist” by the US and twice been declared killed by the military, claimed responsibility for a December 20 attack on a tank battalion barracks in Bama, north eastern Borno State.

“Brothers pulverised 21 armoured tanks. People were killed in their multitudes; bodies scattered all over,” he said, adding that his forces “blew out the brains” of soldiers who tried to hide under their blankets.

“Had Allah allowed us to eat them we would have eaten them but we are not cannibals,” he added, according to a news agency reports. “This is a victory from Allah.”

The video showed the terrorist leader seated on a mat, surrounded by masked fighters. It included footage of the attack, with burning buildings and fighter jets and armed, masked men walking around them.

The insurgents stormed the barracks by arriving in a convoy of trucks shortly before sunrise, opening fire on soldiers inside before torching the compound. Witnesses said they kidnapped soldiers along with women and children.

Shekau threatened more mayhem in the video sent to AFP on Saturday whose authenticity has not been verified, although it is one in a series sent to the news agency in which he features.

“As for killing, we will kill because Allah says we should decapitate, we should amputate limbs, we should mutilate,” he said.

Thousands of people have been killed since Boko Haram launched its uprising against the state in 2009.

Boko Haram means “Western education is forbidden” and the militia, which has links to al Qaeda, has attacked schools, universities and colleges, killing at least 40 children in one attack in September.

“They try to brainwash the people that we are fighting an ethnic war,” Shekau said in his latest video. “No, we are fighting a religious war, we are fighting (Nigerian President Goodluck) Jonathan, we are fighting Christians.”

He also shrugged off the bounties put on his head – $7 million by the United States and $312,500 by the Nigerian government. “We do not worship money,” he says. “You can’t in any way harm me.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Northern agenda (B’Haram’s) attack in Bama: 50 insurgents, 15 soldiers, 5 civilians killed; 20 vehicles destroyed.


Boko-Haram-002

THE military operation to track insurgents who carried out the last Friday pre-dawn attacks on Mohammed Kur Barracks, Bama, has led to the killing of 50 insurgents and destruction of over 20 vehicles conveying escaping terrorists.The vehicles were the ones used during the attack on the barracks and were sited through air surveillance, as the terrorists were making efforts to cross the borders back to their haven in Cameroun.Director, Defence Information, Major-General Chris Olukolade, also said that “although a good number of the insurgents escaped with bullet wounds while some have been arrested, over 50 of them died in the course of exchange of fire with ground troops in the ongoing operations to apprehend fleeing terrorists.“The military has lost 15 soldiers, mostly from the attacks, while some died during the pursuit. A total of five civilians also died during the attack.”He disclosed that intensive cordon-and-search operation was still ongoing to fish out the insurgents who might be lurking around communities in the area.Families affected by the attacks have been relocated to other military locations, Olukolade stated.Meanwhile, Borno State governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, met with President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House on Tuesday to brief him on the recent activities of the Boko Haram sect in his state, assuring that the terrorists had not overwhelmed security personnel.He told State House correspondents after the meeting that two or three of the female hostages seized by the insurgents in their last week attack on the 202 Army Battalion Barracks in Bama had escaped from their captors while he denied that children were still being held.Shettima also denied the allegation that the Bama Barracks had been deserted following the attack, saying, “it is not true. I am the man on ground and I can tell you authoritatively what is happening.“Women and children normally, during crisis, are moved to safer locations but the soldiers are on ground.They are right now in Bama and are doing their job very well.”Speaking on the apparent resurgence of the attacks, the governor said that the Federal Government was doing its best to put an end to terrorism.“I am just here to brief Mr President of what transpired in Bama. I believe that very soon, this issue will be frontally addressed and it will be a thing of the past,” he added.It will be recalled that a large group of suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked the barracks last Thursday, killing troops and members of their

families while taking away some people as hostages.The attack led to an impromptu meeting on Friday between President Jonathan and the service chiefs before he was due to decorate newly promoted two-star military generals at the Command Officers’ Mess, Asokoro, Abuja.The military also reported another clash with the insurgents in Bama on Monday, when it said about 15 soldiers and 50 terrorists were killed.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Tag Cloud