Prayer zone for a better, empowering, inspiring, promoting, prospering, progressing and more successful life through Christ Jesus

Posts tagged ‘Sect’

Boko Haram terrorists now engages in forceful conscription •Abducts 9 female traders, 27 others in Borno.


 

boko-haram-sect

Military authorities in Borno State has said that the Boko Haram sect has resorted to forcefully conscripting young and able bodied men into the group following the deadly attacks by troops in the last few days at the Sambisa forest and other camps where the sect lost hundreds of their fighters.

Colonel Muhammadu Dole, in a chat with the Nigerian Tribune in Maiduguri, the state capital, said the sect is now moving around villages to recruit members to replace the dead ones in a forceful conscription.

“You know they have suffered serious defeat in the last few days, now they are forcefully recruiting men and the women they are taking along with them also serve and cook for them. We are on their trail and we would continue to pursue them to the last person.

 

“We are aware that they didn’t kill those they abducted on the highways instead, they forced them to go with them. I think they kill such people only when they meet resistance otherwise, they recruit them forcefully and we are working towards ensuring the safety of those abducted in all the operations we are carrying out.” Dole said.

Meanwhile, traders at Kasuwan Doya and Tashan Kano have said that nine female traders and 27 other young men were abducted on Monday, when the insurgents attacked two lorries carrying oranges, a Pick up van carrying firewood and a Golf car carrying six passengers.

According to some of the traders at Tashan Kano motor park, the two lorries left them at Damboa town at about 7.00a.m. and was heading to Maiduguri.

“We left Damboa around 8.00a.m. and when we arrived at a village before Bulabulin Ngaura, we saw other vehicles that had been stopped by the soldiers. The soldiers told us that the Boko Haram people were operating ahead of us.They went ahead to clear the road before they now asked us to start moving. When we got to the spot, the two lorries were still burning but the passengers and drivers were not there,” a trader at Tashan Kano, who did not want his name in print told the Nigerian Tribune in Maiduguri.

In another development, Borno State Comptroller of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Modu Musa Mirga, has said that he discovered a large presence of Boko Haram insurgents in most of the border communities visited during his tour of border communities recently.

He, therefore, called on the state government to, as a matter of urgency, call on security agents to rid the border communities of the bad elements .

Musa Mirga, who was recently posted to Borno State, stated this on Wednesday during his courtesy call on the Borno State governor, Kashim Shettima, at the council chamber of Maiduguri Government House.

He said the purpose of his visit was to condole with the government and people of the state over the continuous attack and carnage especially on highways by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Boko Haram infiltration of JTF raises concern.


Boko Haram 1

Strong indications emerged on Friday that members of the dreaded Boko Haram Islamic Sect might have infiltrated the ranks of the Borno Youth Vigilante popularly referred to as Civilian JTF.

Members of the youth group are aiding the efforts of the military in the ongoing campaign against the insurgent, especially in Borno State.

Investigations revealed that the military was worried about the development and had commenced discrete investigations into the activities of the youth group.

It was gathered that the intelligence arm of the military had traced some of the incidents leading to the death of some of the members

of the group to the release of information from the members of the group loyal to the sect.

But the Director of Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Chris Olukolade, said on Friday that there had been no concrete report on the claimed infiltration of the vigilance group by the Boko Haram.

Olukolade stated however that the military was careful and was not leaving anything to chance in their relationship with the group and its activities.

He said, “On this issue of the alleged infiltration of the youth group by the Boko Haram, I can tell you that there is no concrete report or evidence that Boko Haram members are among them.

“However, the military is careful and we are not leaving anything to chance concerning the activities of the group.”

Investigations however revealed that the military decided to investigate the activities of the members of the sect following the recurrent killings of members of the sect, by Boko Haram elements on various occasions in ambush.

It was learnt that the military investigation revealed that there was a high possibility that the members of the youth group loyal to Boko Haram were releasing information to the sect on the movement and activities of the group.

The panel was said to have been set up following the killing of 24 members of the group at a Boko Haram ambush at Monguno town on August 31, 2013.

The survivors of the attack said that out of the 100 who left for the operation to capture some of the insurgents in their camps at Kaleri, Shuwari, Maganari and Nannari villages in Mongonu, 36 were missing apart from the 24 confirmed dead.

It was learnt that the military had kept the group whose activities had led to the arrest of many of the insurgents under close watch.

Investigation further revealed that the Joint Task Force in Yobe State delayed acting on an application by Yobe youths to form a similar body in the state because of the developments around the civilian JTF in Borno.

It was learnt that the leadership of the military in the state who preferred to deal with neighbourhoods watch had requested for time to think about the applications before granting any approval where necessary.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Attacks In Baga, Bama; Promises More On The Way.


 

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau show off kidnapped women and children
By SaharaReporters, New York

The Boko Haram sect has claimed responsibility for the recent major assault on Baga and Bama, in Borno state, in which over 200 people, including soldiers, policemen, prison warders and civilians, were massacred.

But they are blaming the military for the killing of civilians, as well as the arson.

We carried out the attack in Baga and we are also responsible of the attack in Bama,” sect leader Imam Abubakar Ibn Shekau, speaking in Hausa, said in the 12-minute video.  “The military went after we [had] finished and killed innocent people and burnt houses.”

In an April 26 statement on Baga, the Committee for the Protection of Peoples Mandate (CPPM) called on the United Nations to investigate the massacre, saying that over 185 innocent people were killed, and about 2000 houses destroyed along with 62 motor vehicles and 486 motorcycles.

Shekau’s latest video also shows women and children who were taken as hostages in retaliation for the detention by the security agencies of families of Boko Haram sect members.

Shekau boasted: “Since we don’t get our children and wives, these ones too will not [be] set free.  We will hold them in place of our own in detention.”

Nigeria: 150 arrested in sweep against sect.


ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria‘s military says it arrested more than 150 people and killed 36 others in a campaign across the nation’s northeast to disrupt a radical Islamist sect.

The military swept through towns in Adamawa and Yobe states over the past few days and ordered civilians to stay indoors. The soldiers focused on apprehending members of Boko Haram, the Islamist extremist sect responsible for a series of bombings and gun attacks in the region. The military said Monday two soldiers were wounded in the operations.

It is unclear how effective the operation will prove against the sect, which carries out guerrilla tactics. Nigerian security agencies routinely make mass arrests, but often do not catch the extremists.

An Associated Press count shows Boko Haram is responsible for more than 690 killings this year.

Source: YAHOO NEWS.

Associated Press

Fresh clash between army, sect members in Nigeria.


MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Police in Nigeria‘s northeast say members of a radical Islamist sect have clashed with the army in a city wracked by violence.

Yobe state police Patrick Egbuniwe said Saturday that explosions and gunfire rocked the city of Damaturu late Friday. He said it started when members of the Boko Haram sect attacked an army patrol vehicle in a residential area.

The army told Egbuniwe that there were no military casualties. However, he could not say if sect members were hurt. He said civilians weren’t endangered because the attack occurred during curfew hours.

Such clashes have been on the rise since the sect carried out a series of deadly attacks on the city last month.

Boko Haram is held responsible for more than 630 deaths this year alone according to an Associated Press count.

Source: YAHOO NEWS.

Associated PressAssociated Press 

Thirty killed in fresh soldiers/Boko Haram gun duel.


Thirty persons were feared killed in a fierce gun battle between soldiers and
members of the violent Boko Haram sect at the popular Baga market in
Maiduguri, Borno State on Monday.

Trouble began at noon on Monday when members of the Boko Haram sect
besieged the scene hauling explosives into the fish market in what they said
was a reprisal attack against the traders over the arrest of a prominent sect
member last Thursday.

The attackers had accused the traders of giving out clue to security
operatives which lead to the arrest of one of their colleague.

Following sporadic shootings and deafening sound of explosives in the
neighbourhood, members of the Joint Task Force, JTF, a special security
outfit deployed to quell the Boko Haram insurgence arrived the scene leading
to a major confrontation between the soldiers and the sect members.

At the end of the encounter, some members of the sect as well as some
traders were reportedly killed.

Eyewitness account said the number of casualties could be up to thirty
noting that some traders had been hit by the Boko Haram bullets and blasts
before the arrival of the soldiers.

However, JTF spokesman, Lt Col Hassan Mohammed said his men killed
eight members of the sect in the encounter, while the sect members had
killed three traders before the arrival of the security operatives.

The soldiers, he said responded to an invitation by the traders following the
siege by members of Boko Haram sect which eventually led to the gun battle.

On arrival, Mohammed said they soldiers successfully detonated three of the
bombs earlier planted by the violent sect members.

“Our men engaged members of the Boko Haram sect in gun battle and we
successfully killed eight of the sect members and recovered weapons as well
as detonated some IEDs and recovered some others.”

According to him, the three traders shot at the Market did not die but were
taken to the hospital where they are receiving medical attention.
Eye witness however said the casualties were no fewer than 30 as some of
the victims of the gun battle were said to have died while receiving medical
attention.

By African Examiner.

Boko Haram members drive exquisite cars to beat security – Abu Qaqa reveals.


Abu Qaqa, the Boko Haram chieftain arrested by the State Security Service,
SSS, has disclosed how members of the sect disguised in exquisite cars to
ride around town to beat security agents on their trail.

According to Qaqa, the sect members usually drive around in stolen exquisite
cars with tainted glasses disguising as affluent members of society to beat
security checks.

Qaqa, Head Strategist of the violent Boko Haram sect who was arrested in
Kaduna  recently had so far disclosed the operational methods of the sect to
his interrogators leading to arrest of more sect members.

According to him, security agents were often intimidated to stop such cars
“because they believe only big men have such cars and they are not
checked.”

He said they often snatch the cars and alter some of the features in a manner
that will not reveal they were stolen and drive around town in the cars as they
wish.

“Those cars are snatched at gunpoint. We use less expensive ones for
suicide ones, while expensive ones are used by leaders, who use them to
deceive security agents. Most of the times, those security agents don’t check
those cars because of corruption in the country and the feeling that people
using such cars are big men,” Qaqa was quoted to have squealed.

So far some leading members of the sect including Alhaji Kabiru Umar alias
Sokoto have been arrested by security agents, a development which had
dealt a lethal blow to the violent sect.

By African Examiner.

Six killed in Boko Haram in-fighting.


The end seems to be in sight for the terrorist group, Boko Haram following
in-fighting between splinter group led to the killing of six members in
Maiduguri, Borno State.

Just on Wednesday, the sect’s loquacious spokesman, Abdul Qaqa was
arrested by a combined team of soldiers and the State Security Service,
SSS, operatives.

The intra-sect slaughter, the second in one week occurred on Thursday at
the Kabar Maila Ward, Shehuri North in the outskirt of Maiduguri
Lt Col Hassan Mohammed, spokesman of the Joint Task Force, in a
statement confirmed the incident, adding that the rank of the sect is fast
depleting.

He disclosed that there were sporadic shootings and blasts in the area
leading to the death of six suspected sect members.

“In Kabar Maila in Shehuri North, six persons were killed. Preliminary
investigations reveal that the six deceased persons were suspected to
have been slaughtered by persons suspected to be their fellow sect
members”, he said.

The statement continued that “the incident occurred in the area where 11
sect members had an encounter with the JTF troops last weekend. The
killing may have been as a result of division among sect members.”

JTF, Mohammed added, will continue to be proactive in dealing with Boko
Haram and advised the people to be security conscious.

Reacting to the arrest of one of its chieftains on Wednesday another
spokesman of the sect acknowledged sharp division in their fold which he
said made one of the groups to implicate some members of the splinter
group.

By African Examiner.

Tag Cloud