Prayer zone for a better, empowering, inspiring, promoting, prospering, progressing and more successful life through Christ Jesus

Posts tagged ‘Yobe State’

Churches Cancel Christmas Night Services In Borno, Yobe States.


by SaharaReporters, New York

SaharaReporters has gathered that churches in Borno and Yobe States, fearing Boko Haram violence, today cancelled Christmas Eve night services.

The situation is said to be the same in some military and police barracks, where activities are highly restricted.

Rev. Yakubu Ibrahim, a Christian leader in the troubled North-East of Nigeria, the hotbed of the Boko Haram insurgency, confirmed the service cancellation to our reporter by telephone from Maiduguri.

“We have decided not to hold our service because of security challenges and cancelled night Church service because our security cannot be guaranteed.
Few Christmases back we had similar experiences where our members were killed, some even during service in the morning. With the present situation, it is not possible.

“Our members are scared and so we cannot take chances. Presently we are in a very terrible situation; many of our people have been abducted and killed. And so we are just surviving by the grace of God pending when we will overcome this persecution.”

Another clergy in Yobe State, Pastor Audu Tanko, described the same situation.

“We are in our homes and will only hold service in the morning but [have] cancelled Christmas night service of songs,” he said.  “It is not our wish but we have no choice.”

Military sources in both Maiduguri and Damaturu said the security situation has not normalized as is being claimed.  They told us that troops of both the Air Force and the Army are still been deployed in view of Boko Haram’s sophistication and well-coordinated attacks, citing the example of the assault of December 2, 2013.

Boko Haram terrorists: Fulfil promises to Borno others, US tells President Jonathan.


US-state-department

THE United States has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to fulfil his promises to implement developmental projects in the troubled states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa in order to curb Boko Haram insurgency in the region.

The three states have been under the emergency rule since May.

US Permanent Representatives to the United Nations, Samantha Power, who said this in her opening remarks at a meeting with some civil society organisations in Abuja on Wednesday, also expressed worry about what she called uncoordinated security crackdown on Boko Haram members.

This, she noted, had resulted in loss of lives of many innocent people.

She said, “The United States is concerned by some of the stories we hear of inhumane detention practices in Nigeria, and I have discussed this with officials here.

Security crackdowns that do not discriminate between legitimate targets and innocent civilians are both counterproductive and wrong.

“We know how hard it is to fight insurgency and terrorism, but we have also seen how much more effective we are when we put the welfare of the local population at the heart of our efforts.”

The envoy, who regretted that the US and Nigeria had been targets of terrorists, said the Nigerian government must implement policies that would help lay a foundation for longer term progress.

“I was pleased to hear President Jonathan’s announcement earlier this month of his development plan for the North-East. Efforts to fight poverty, create jobs, and respect the dignity and rights of all people would help lay a foundation for longer term progress. My government will be urging President Jonathan to fulfil his commitment to implement his plan as soon as possible,” she said.

Power said the meeting was called to have a candid conversation with civil society organisations to know the challenges confronting them in promoting free, fair, and transparent elections, fighting corruption, advancing responsible, effective, and rights-respecting approaches to insecurity.

She observed that the US and Nigeria shared much in common because they “both have vibrant civil societies, whose promotion of civic engagement was key to advancing important reforms and making government accountable to its citizens.

Power said, “In Nigeria, civil society organisations like yours have tirelessly advocated for increasing the credibility of elections and citizens’ participation in the electoral process, which is so vital for any democracy. You all have also worked to highlight the impact of poor governance and public corruption on the average Nigerian citizen who wants to contribute meaningfully to society.

“Tragically, we have both been targeted by terrorists. The brutality of the attacks against your people is shocking. In responding to these attacks, it is essential that we do so consistent with the most fundamental of international human rights norms.”

She said efforts of the civil society could help Nigeria to empower women, create new opportunities for young people, expose and curb corruption, strengthen democratic institutions, and ensure that the electoral process became free and fair.

Expressing the US concern over the irregularities in last month’s governorship election in Anambra State, Power said her country would follow closely the next governorship elections in Ekiti and Osun states.

“The 2015 election will draw global attention and can – if you push hard enough – prove a model for all of Africa, if they are free, fair, and transparent,” she added.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Borno State Governor Says Suspending 2015 Elections In Emergency States Means Boko Haram Has Won.


 

By Saharareporters, New York

The Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, today reacted to the plan by the Independent National Electoral Commission to exclude the states currently under emergency rule from the 2015 elections, saying the decision has grave repercussions for the country.

The governor made the remark while responding to questions by journalists, during which he noted that 2015 remains very far away for all mortals.

“Only God, our Creator, knows who will get to 2015 and in what state of health,” he said.  “It is also Allah that gives power to anyone He wills at the time He will and how He will.”

Of the proposal, he paid compliments to Professor Attahiru Jega, the electoral commission chairman, describing him as “a man associated with honour, integrity, an erudite and respected scholar” who has not committed any sin by his proposal, and commending him for INEC’s early preparations for the elections.

“I also think he is being sincere because if he had an ulterior motive he wouldn’t reveal the issue now,” the governor said.  “He could have waited till when Allah spares our lives in 2015 and he would announce the exclusion of the States, by which time politics could be intense and every segment would be dealing with its own political issues.”

He noted that the INEC chairman has not foreclosed the participation of the three affected States in the 2015 elections, adding that the proposal is dependent on hopes that security will improve in those states.

“But one important thing we should not ignore as a sovereign country is that suspending national election such as the 2015 in any part of the 36 States and the FCT on account of Boko Haram activities would amount to making the insurgents supreme over the Federal Republic of Nigeria, it will be defeatist on our part as a nation.”

He stressed that the objective of Boko Haram is to impose the group’s beliefs on Nigeria, subvert its constitution and its democracy and replace them with inhuman laws that support killings and destruction.  In that regard, he observed that should any part of the country be suspended from taking part in the 2015 election, the insurgents would presume themselves to be successful and to be inching closer to achieving their goals.

“We cannot allow that,” Governor Shettima emphasized.

He said that as a strategy, Borno and Yobe States and indeed any place affected by the insurgency should be the electoral commission’s main focus for conducting the 2015 elections in order to send a clear message to those who want us to go into extinction that we will not cave in to their violent needs.

He said that suspending the elections even in a polling unit mainly on account of Boko Haram would be a setback in the fight against terror and that it will not be good for us as a country or for our reputation abroad.

“I therefore call on the Federal Government all stakeholders in the country and friends of Nigeria to look at the issue with analytical mindset far beyond what reasons we might be talking about now,” he said.

“If Boko Haram is able to stop elections in three States, they might in no time, simply target additional States and gradually, they might stop elections in Nigeria.  We can’t allow that.”

Boko Haram terrorists 1,200 killed in seven months.


United Nations

The United Nations (UN) yesterday said over 1,200 people have been killed as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency in the Northeast of Nigeria since a state of emergency was declared in the region in May.

According to the World body in a statement, the figure is related to killings of civilians and the military by Boko Haram in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.

It also includes insurgents killed by security forces repelling attacks.

This is the first time independent casualty figures have been issued since emergency rule was declared.

Thousands of people have been killed since 2009, when Boko Haram launched its campaign to install strict Islamic law in the north

The figures do not include those killed during military operations, a spokesman for the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha) told French News Agency the (AFP)

“The humanitarian situation in north-east Nigeria has been increasingly worrisome over the course of 2013,” the UN said.

There have been 48 separate “Boko Haram-related” attacks in the region since emergency rule was declared, the statement added.

“Information on the situation is scarce,” with figures of those displaced by the conflict and those who have fled to neighbouring states “hard to gauge”, Ocha said.

Since the declaration of state of emergency in Borno state, of which Maiduguri is the capital, and Adamawa and Yobe, there has been a massive military deployment in the worst-affected areas.

Attacks by Boko Haram are continuing despite the big military offensive.

The military initially switched off the mobile network across the region, apparently to block Islamists from co-ordinating attacks but that has since been relaxed.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Adamu Ciroma Says Security Has Collapsed In North-East.


By Saharareporters, New York

After a long silence on issues bedeviling Northern Nigeria, Adamu Ciroma, the 79-year old Nigerian former Minister of Finance and ex-Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, yesterday broke his silence saying security has collapsed in the troubled North-East region of Nigeria.

The Yobe State-born politician, who chaired one of the sessions at the ongoing North-East Economic Summit holding in Gombe State, also told all state governors from the zone to wake up from slumber. He asked the governors to invite all categories of people, including those he described as “Boko Haram looking people,” to see the urgent need to overcome the current insecurity responsible for the backwardness of the region.

The summit commenced barely 24 hours after Boko Haram militants renewed their terrorist activities by launching a daring attack on military formations in fortified areas of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, in the early hours of Monday.

“Security has collapsed and you cannot farm, trade, you cannot do anything without security,” said Mr. Ciroma. He added: “All of you here are already well-to-do people, because God has enabled you to go to school to become what you have become. But the fact is that without peace, no production is possible, no economic improvement is possible.”

Mr. Ciroma, who spoke in an emotional tone, disclosed that the governor of his home state shunned him. “At the beginning of this year, I sent a friend to talk to the governor of my state, and I advised him and I am repeating before all of you, Your Excellencies. I advised him that he should call a meeting of all the traditional institutions in the area. With the learned people and with the Boko Haram-looking people, everyone who matters, each governor should call them for a meeting in the North-East. And [you have to] point out that the situation has worsened and they need peace, if they need peace and want to see things [done] properly. If they want to see improvement in agriculture, then all of them must agree to cooperate to re-establish peace in the area. The traditional rulers, the malams, everybody, Boko Haram-looking people, all of them should cooperate and establish peace so that security and peace will begin. Up to now, I have not heard from him. So you governors here, you have not heard from me, because if my governor didn’t hear me, why should I think you will hear me?”

The septuagenarian challenged the governors to concentrate more on empowering young farmers in the rural areas who are most vulnerable to the ongoing atmosphere of insecurity rather than the current emphasis on assisting only graduates of universities and polytechnics.

Source: SAHARA REPORTERS.

Partial Telecoms Restored In Maiduguri, Military Source Says.


 

By SaharaReporters, New York

A military source told SaharaReporters a short while ago that partial telecommunications services have been restored to Maiduguri, Borno State, where the Boko Haram sect attacked military facilities yesterday.
The source specified that only MTN services are currently available and that some residents are able to make calls, but with some difficulties.

He also said that text messages are currently easier to communicate with than phone calls as some of the telecoms facilities were destroyed by the Boko Haram sect.

Telecommunication services were suspended in May when President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.

Boko Haram terrorists 6 killed and many injured as invade Adamawa.


Boko Haram 1

YOLA – Hell was let loose in Yola, the Adamawa State Capital Thursday night as suspected Boko Haram insurgents unleashed terror in the state capital.

During the attack which lasted several hours, at least six people were reported killed, while many others sustained injuries.

Eyewitness account told Vanguard that the suspected insurgents in their large number stormed the popular Kasuwar Gwari market along Mubi Bye Pass, fingered their victims and shot them at close range.

The eyewitness added that serious stampede ensued in the area and spread to other parts of the state capital like wild fire.

In the ensuing confusion, several people sustained injuries as people ran for their lives following sporadic shooting.

The military enforcing the state of emergency in the state have launched a man haunt for the fleeing suspected Boko Haram members.

The man haunt has led to the closure of all roads leading to and from the state capital thereby creating long queues along the major roads.

As at the time of this report, all the major markets in the state capital have remained closed and shut, even as other shop owners operate at low level.

Anxious Journalists who visited the Brigade Commander of the 23 Armoured Brigade, Yola, Brigadier General Fattai Alli went away in disappointment as he said he was too busy to talk to the press.

Adamawa alongside Borno and Yobe states have their state of emergency extended by another six months following unending activities of Boko Haram insurgents.

Source: Radio Biafra.

Tag Cloud